Jonica Multiservizi SPA manages the Carafa Castle on behalf of the Municipality of Roccella Jonica.
The Castle is located on a rocky promontory at 104 meters above sea level and overlooks the entire country.
Founded in the Norman period by Gualtieri De Collepietro, the property subsequently passed to the Ruffo family for several generations, then to Galeotto Baldaxi (the Baldassino or Bardassino of the chronicles), a character known for his military exploits during the war of King Alfonso. Later, to the Marquis of Crotone Antonio Centelles and, finally, from 1479 to 1806, to the noble Carafa della Spina family, from which it was partially remodeled and restored.
This monumental building, powerful in its structure, constituted an impregnable bulwark, resisting the assaults of the Turkish corsair Dragut Pascià, in 1553.
There are numerous ruins of the noble palace, preserving a magnificent lithic portal, surmounted by the coat of arms, in limestone and eroded by time, of the Carafa della Spina principles. Once past the entrance portal (once a drawbridge), attention is drawn to a monumental balcony with carved and figured shelves (masks).
The palace is enriched inside by a paved courtyard with eight star-shaped canals. The courtyard leads, via the main staircase, to the upper floors, where there were the private apartments of the princes, while on the ground floor there is access to rooms intended for various uses (kitchens, warehouses, etc.). Inside the courtyard you can see a well embedded in the wall and, along the same, the entrance door to the elegant spiral staircase, in limestone.
Adjacent to the building is the Mother Church of S. Nicola di Bari, in Baroque Jonic style. The church had a small relief, called catacombs and valuable polychrome marble altars, still located in the new Matrix church, two of which have been declared national monuments.
The church is adjacent to the Palazzo dei Principi Carafa, and the noble family through a coretto, now destroyed, accessed directly inside the sacred building.
A clock was installed in the bell tower of the church, striking the hours on the bell, whose circular imprint is still visible.
Maggiori info su http://www.castelloroccella.it